Have you noticed all the local farmer’s markets opening up? They are a great resource for berries, because they are fresh, taste extra sweet, and just so happen to be in season—as you know by now, we love that!
If you’re like me, you get home and eat right through your box of strawberries as you’re unpacking groceries. With any luck, you’ve stocked up and have lots to spare for the rest of the family.
Berries are jam-packed with health benefits like antioxidants (great for memory and liver function), and fiber (crucial for proper digestion).
If you have extra berries, here are some great ways to incorporate them into your meals:
- Top them over your cereal
- Make a berry compote. Get a great recipe here
- Add them to your smoothie—mmm, fresh berries first thing in the morning!
- Add them to savoury salads—trust me it’s the best thing you’ll ever eat.
- Bake with them—who doesn’t love a warm blueberry muffin.
- Grilled scewers are a great hit at any bbq- stick some strawberries, pineapple, and grapes on a stick and you are ready to go.
- Add raspberries to plain quinoa with a light drizzle of maple syrup for an energy-boosting snack.
- Fruit salad topped with Greek yogurt.
- Make vinaigrette, it’s easier than you think. Try this recipe.
- If by some miracle you have so many, they are at risk of going bad, freeze them to use later.